Navgathi Marine has delivered first in the series of deluxe wooden house boats built under IRS class. It is delivered to the owner Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation and is prepared to be taken to Malvan, the port of registry.
Navgathi Marine has delivered first in the series of deluxe wooden house boats built under IRS class. It was delivered to Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation and is prepared to be taken to Malvan, the port of registry. Built in Konkan style, India’s first fully classed wooden house boat will be a new attraction in MTDC’s tourism programs.
With a stunning new design the vessel vessel is made of Anjili wood with length 27 meters and breadth 5 meters. Wood And plywood were quality tested as per IRS standards. The project manager, Devendu, said, “Unlike the wooden house boats common in Kerala backwaters, IRS standards were strictly followed in every stages of construction to provide the structural integrity of the boat.” Further:
- The grown and bent frames were provided for more strength with a frame spacing of 180 mm (usual boats bent frame is not there)
- Pillars were given in every grown frames (usually one in three)
- Special brackets were provided in every frames (usually none)
- Water tight bulk heads to ensure safety and prevents water ingression (usually missing)
- Deck and Bulkhead were given FRP coating reinforcement and water-tight integrity
- Electrical system used in the boat is similar to those of seagoing vessels. IRS type approved generators, electrical systems and panels are used to ensure safety. Lightning arrestors were also fitted to provide additional safety.
- Powered by IRS type approved 109 BHP engine, the vessel has a service speed of 6 knots. She reacts perfectly to her steering wheel.
Some amazing features are:
- Engines and generators will shut down automatically when the oil pressure and temperature varies from normal.
- Steering and rudder system is a new design under IRS standards that provides the boats more maneuverability and control
- The piping system is type approved and she is also equipped with two types of bilge pump and fire pump system. Normally bilge and fire pumps runs from the engine. There are hand driven pumps as well as an emergency backup plan.
Some interesting features are incorporated to ensure safety in light of the accidents common with house boats in Alappuzha. Accidents from fire and capsizing are very common in Alappuzha. To prevent these accidents she has a system for the emergency isolation of fuel system in case of fire and also the water tight bulk heads to prevent the ingression of water to the compartments.
High quality IRS approved Lifesaving appliances and firefighting system along with navigational equipment’s like Echo sounder and GPS ensures passenger safety.
Some more great features were added in the boat like:
- UPS back up for emergency power
- Pressured fresh water system
- Bio digester fitted to avoid pollution from bio waste
- Furniture made in teak gives a premium look and feel
Designed to meet the tourism initiatives the deluxe A/C two bedded house boat with upper deck can accommodate 8 passenger and is furnished with all facilities for a comfortable stay. This vessel will be operating in backwaters of Tarkali and Malvan. Boat has all the safety features to meet any accident during voyage and docking.
“We would like to express our gratitude to our customer, suppliers, subcontractors and our team for their significant support. Even though challenging, with design and delivery of this vessel, we achieved a significant milestone in Indian maritime industry”, said Sandith Thandasherry, CEO Navgathi Marine.